J. Alvin Wilbanks, who has served as CEO/Superintendent of Gwinnett County Public Schools (GCPS) since March 1996, gave the State of the Schools Address at the Aug. 15 On Topic, held at Infinite Energy Forum. During Wilbanks’ tenure, GCPS has grown to be the state’s largest school district and a nationally acclaimed K-12 learning organization. The district is the largest employer in Gwinnett County and one of the largest in Georgia.
GCPS by the numbers:
- 140 school facilities, including
80 elementary schools
29 middle schools
22 high schools
9 special entity facilities
- More than 22,000 employees
- 1,830 new teachers hired for 2018-2019
- #178 on Forbes’ 2018 list of America’s Best Large Employers and #10 Best Employers for Women
- Over 20.4 million lunches and more than 10 million breakfasts were served last year
- 1,980 school buses safely transport more than 130,000 students twice a day
- GCPS is the third largest transporter of students in the U.S.