August is Black Business Month and we’d like to introduce you to our member Calvin McCoy with Signature Contingent Management. To learn more, visit http://contingentmanagement.com.
What inspired you to begin your business?
I have been in staffing for over 20 years. When I was 17 years old, I was working for Travelers Insurance as a school work study program. I was filing HR paperwork when I noticed people coming out of this guy’s office smiling, hugging him, and crying at times. I was so intrigued that one day I asked him what he did. He stated that he was a recruiter, and he helped people get jobs. At that time my mother was not working and I knew that a job would change her life. It was at that moment that I did not want to be a doctor, a lawyer, or a firefighter. I wanted to be a recruiter and a life changer. I started my business because I wanted to change the lives of my community and be a mentor and role model for many people who look like me and come from where I have come from.
Who was your first client?
My very first client and still is Morehouse College. They gave Signature an opportunity and our service has been proven to be impeccable. Signature will always value Morehouse College and the opportunity they gave us.
Where did you begin your business?
I begin my business in a two office 200 sq ft unit in Northlake. We are now in a 3,000 square foot facility, with a full training room, with another location in Orlando, Florida.
What piece of advice would you tell your self when you started out? Any success tips you want to share?
1. Never partner with someone or a company who is willing to let your business die.
2. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes. Mistakes are needed to build the culture and identity of your business.
3. Be a working CEO. No one can work your dream and vision better than you. Always be involved.
What are you most proud of?
I am most proud of the services we offer and our values. Both of these are what set us apart from the 2,000 staffing agencies in Georgia.
What makes us different:
1. We are faith based
2. We offer executive employee transportation for our employees to get back in forth to work, using our company owned fleet of shuttles.
3. All of our employees must complete our Workforce Etiquette Training Class before ever being released to a client; using our in-office 20 seat training center. We do this class both in-office and virtually.